Saturday, December 8 and Sunday, December 9, 2018 | 7:30 p.m. | First Christian Church Candlelight Concert Kelly Kuo, conductor _________________________________________
- Reinhard Keiser: Overture to Der lächerliche Prinz Jodelet
- Henry Purcell: Suite from Abdelazer, Z. 570
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Serenade No. 6 in D Major, K. 239, “Serenata Notturna”
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Ave verum corpus, K. 618, Misericordias Domini, K. 222, with University of Oregon School of Music and Dance Chamber Choir; Sharon Paul, director
- George Frideric Handel: Dance Suite from Almira
This year our popular winter tradition of candlelit performances in First Christian Church includes a selection of pieces by our namesake, including the moving Ave verum corpus performed with the internationally-acclaimed University of Oregon Chamber Choir. OMP’s assistant conductor, Nicholas Sharma, debuts with a suite from Purcell’s “Abdelazer,” which includes the melody that served as the basis for Britten’s well-known Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra. A lively dance suite from Handel’s opera Almira and the rousing overture to Reinhard Keiser’s comic opera The Ridiculous Prince Jodelet will send you into the holiday season with good spirits.
Saturday, February 9, 2019 | 7: 30 p.m. | Beall Concert Hall Shall We Dance? Kelly Kuo, conductor | Eric Lu, piano __________________________________________
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: German Dances, K. 509
- Igor Stravinsky: Danses concertantes
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58, Eric Lu, piano
A set of Mozart’s charming German Dances opens this dance-inspired program followed by Stravinsky’s witty and fanciful Danses concertantes. Pianist Eric Lu, the first-prize winner of the 2017 International German Piano Award in Frankfurt and former prizewinner in the 2015 International Fryderyk Chopin Competition, joins us after intermission for Beethoven’s beloved Piano Concerto No.4, one of the last pieces the composer himself performed in public.
Saturday, March 9, 2019 | 7:30 p.m. | Beall Concert Hall London Bridges Kelly Kuo, conductor __________________________________________
- Malcolm Arnold: Serenade for Small Orchestra
- Jonathan Dove: Figures in the Garden
- Benjamin Britten: Soirées musicales, Op. 9
- Franz Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 102 in B-flat Major
In a program of music with ties across the pond, OMP’s wind section takes the spotlight in Jonathan Dove’s Figures in the Garden, based on music from Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro. Colorful chamber orchestra works of Malcolm Arnold and Benjamin Britten, performed for the first time in OMP history, will leave you smiling before Haydn’s Symphony No. 102, one of twelve written for the composer’s London trips, brings the house down.
Saturday, May 4, 2019 | 7:30 p.m. | Beall Concert Hall Youthful Exuberance Kelly Kuo, conductor __________________________________________
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Divertimento in D Major, K. 136
- Young Soloists: TBD
- Georges Bizet: Symphony No. 1 in C Major
Young musicians shine in our season finale! First, musicians from the Eugene-Springfield Youth Orchestra join us on stage for Mozart’s delightful Divertimento in D Major before the winners of our annual Young Soloist Competition dazzle in their winning concertos with OMP. Finally, our season closes with Bizet’s youthful masterpiece, his Symphony No.1 in C Major, written when he was just seventeen years of age.